So, is your cooktop so filthy that someone should take a culture of it in order to see what nasties reside on it? Is it throughly and horrifyingly crusted in unidentified burnt on cooking goo? Is it haunted by suppers past? If so, I have a solution that doesn't involve killing it with fire.
1) remove any removable parts, knobs, those heavy metal things that pots rest on while the burner is going, soak in kitchen cleaner, baking soda and warm water.
2) brush away any loose debris, stray incinerated pasta, etc from cooktop onto floor. Sweep away.
2)thoroughly spray 409 on bare cooktop.
3)sprinkle baking soda over 409.
4) wait 20 minutes, clean soaking stove top parts, let dry.
5) with paper towels, wipe away now loosened grime. Depending on how bad off your stove top was, this may require some scrubbing.
6) sweep away remaining baking soda.
7) finish off with light coat of 409 and polish.
8)put knobs and parts back on the stovetop.
Your cooktop is like new.
Hat tip, my old roommate Anthony. If it's a lifehack, he knows about it.